When I first decided to embark in educating myself I remember feeling overwhelmed not knowing where to start. I almost quit. I then enrolled in a local community class to see if I should try going back to school and learn a new skill the old traditional way, but dropped the classes in a manner of weeks. Why? Although I already have a bachelors degree, I want to really be the tech industry. I especially find the startup community exciting and invigorating. Here’s a list I put together of the resources I use consistently. Check them out and tell me what you think.
Learn by Watching Awesome Educational Web Shows.
- Smart Passive Income – SPI – Super nice guy Pat Flynn offers advice on best practices for taking your online business to new levels. This is a great starting point for beginners and people looking for great honest content who are at the cusp of having breakout success.
- ThisWeekin Startups – TWiST – Tech Start ups – Great source for lessons learned in entrepreneurship and news about the tech world.
- ThisWeekin – Web Design – Web Design – Great source for lessons learned in building a web design agency. Talk photoshop, design, and best practices. Their SINK or SWIM sessions provide honest feedback about your website’s design layout and user experience potential.
- Mixergy – Mix – Great resources for learning from company founders. This is more about lessons learned in overall entrepreneurship – i.e growing your own business. Subscribe and get ready to take notes.
Learn by Listening to Great Podcasts.
- 48 Days to the Work You Love – 48 Days – Dan Miller has helped me keep my mind open to finding and creating new opportunities in both business and career.
- Smart Passive Income – SPI (YES, again! This guy is everywhere) – Pat Flynn walks you through his process for creating multiple streams of income by developing an online business.
- Six Pixels of Separation – Twist podcast with Mitch Joel – His enthusiasm and love for marketing is contagious. I love his podcasts because he challenges me to think BIGGER, BETTER and DEEPER about marketing and in some instances life in general. I love the interviews he does. A must listen for all marketers.
Learn by Doing Awesome Projects.
- Lynda.com – Follow along by working along side the instructor via a downloadable workbook – premium is about $35/month. Learn anything from photoshop, HTML5 and CSS to learning how to take professional style pictures using a DSLR camera.
- Codecademy.com – Start learning how to program from day 1 for FREE! The site gives you a learning track to follow so your not all over the place like I was before I started using the site 😉
- Team Treehouse.com – Follow along an instruction video on web design, web programming, iOS, and Android Development. Like Lynda.com, they too offer downloadable exercise files, but they are laser focused on building web designers and developers.
- YouTube.com – @Learn with Google – Anything relating to online business – Learn the power of Search, Adwords and Adsense. Videos are from Google or agencies deemed credible by them!
One Last Note.
It’s okay if you don’t know what skill set you want to learn next. I started by casting a wide net and just as my work situation has changed I’ve narrowed it down to learning web design, programming and marketing – I’ve literally narrowed down the possibilites from 20-30 different career skill sets to three. The best part is that they are all interrelated.